A Natural, Nonsurgical Method. Viscosupplementation is an innovative treatment to remedy joint damage and the resulting pain. This custom treatment can be done quickly and easily during an office visit. And you will experience up to six months of relief from joint pain without the expense and hassle of invasive surgery or prescription medications.
Relieve Your Pain and Restore Joint Function
Joint damage can happen when the bones of a joint are not able to slide smoothly past each other. Joints essentially operate as living hinges and rely on lubrication to allow the smooth movement of the moving parts. The loss of this vital internal lubrication, called synovial fluid, can cause a serious condition. When the bones of a joint are not properly lubricated, the bones grind and rub together. The resulting friction causes pain and a lack of joint function.
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disease and a common chronic condition of the joints. OA happens when your joints experience wear and tear, resulting in a loss of synovial fluid and cushioning between the bones of the joint. OA patients suffer from stiffness, pain, and swelling in the affected joints.
If you have osteoarthritis, you may have lower levels of synovial fluid in your joints. We can help replenish these levels and restore your joint health. If you have tried other treatment options for your joint pain without success, then you can benefit from viscosupplementation.
YES. Prescription viscosupplements were approved by the FDA in 1997, and have since become a popular option for patients with joint injuries.
- Viscosupplementation injections are performed in our office in about 5 minutes.
- Depending on the joint being treated, you will sit or lie down so that the doctor can access your joint.
- In some cases, the doctor may inject a local anesthetic to numb the damaged area.
- The doctor may need to draw any extra fluid from the joint.
- Following the injection, you’ll be asked to move your joint to distribute the new fluid.
- Additional injections may be needed over the course of several weeks.
- Viscosupplementation therapy may also be supplemented with physical therapy and other modes of treatment.